Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Please Leave your Judgements at the Door!

Today I was invited to go eat lunch with Zachie at his School. He is the VIP this week. I could A) Bring my own lunch. Or B) Eat the schools lunch. I decided on option C) Take a Coffee and sit with my babe while he ate. So across from us is this kid dressed in a shirt thats too small for him and also flood pants and worn out shoes, hair not done. wearing a CTR ring. Zach also has a CTR ring that he sometimes wears. No problem. So this kid starts giving me the 3rd degree.
Kid: Is that Coffee? YOU drink COFFEE?
Me: YES.
Kid: Coffee is bad for you.
Me: No it isn't.
Kid: Yes it is. It has Alcohol in it
Me: No it doesn't, Not this coffee anyway (LOL)
Kid: Yes it does. its bad for you
Me: Its no worse for you than a soda. It has Caffeine in it, like a soda.
Kid: Do you smoke too??
Me: No but my husband does
Kid: Smoking is bad for you. Zach, Your dad smokes???????????
Zach: No my dad doesn't, my Step dad does.
Kid: Whats a step dad?
Zach: My parents aren't married to each other anymore. I have 2 dads and 2 moms.
Kid: Thats so weird. Do you even go to church?
Zach: Sometimes people don't go to church. But thats OK.

OK WTF!!!!!!!!!! Im sorry. PARENTS, If you have a belief that you are teaching your kids. Not to drink Coffee, Tea, Alcohol, Not have sex before marriage. FINE. TEACH YOUR KIDS THAT. NO BIG DEAL! But Please also teach them that people are not "WEIRD" or "BAD" or "DIFFERENT" for not doing what you do. I am seriously offended by this child's parents and the way they are teaching him. Everyone is different and because they choose to NOT do what YOU do, does not by any stretch of the imagination make them WRONG. It was the hardest thing Ive had to do in my life to walk away from the church. It just isn't for me. If it's for this KID and if it's for Zach more power to them but PLEASE DON'T JUDGE MY CHOICES. Zach was very mature in this conversation and the convo continued after what I had posted. This child was so blatently not OK with me and starting in on Zach. Zach see's both sides of this fence on a weekly basis and I am proud to say he is well versed on both and unjudgemental. Sure he asks me about Alcohol and about Coffee and about why I don't go to church because he is being taught all of this when he goes to church with his dad. I am ok with the questions, and I know he is just trying to figure it out.
I wanted to smack this child a new one. LOL ok, actually I wanted to smack his parents!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Jeninator said...

I totally agree with you. I teach primary and when the subject on coffee, cigarettes and alcohol comes up, I make sure to tell the kids that everyone has choices and that if someone makes a different choice than they do, they are still a good person and that it in No way makes them a bad person.

the cole family said...

I really do love all your posts! Put it out there girl!

Kerry Hoaglund said...

I wish people would educate their kids about this kind of stuff. It would make the world a better place if there wasn't so much judgmental behavior being taught by ignorant parents.